Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Words/Phrases I Hate, vol. 2

So! For today's "Words/phrases I Hate" entry:

Disenfranchise

I hate this word because it's one of those mass-media buzzwords that's overused to a ridiculous degree. Apparently everyone in the country is constantly in danger of being disenfranchised, or has been disenfranchised, etc.

"The post office had a one-day delay because half of the midwest was buried in fourteen feet of snow. Those fuckers are disenfranchising an entire population of hard-working, honest, voting citizens!"

I think that word should be saved for situations like:
 
"You're Scandinavian, so your pale ass can't vote anymore."

THAT'S disenfranchising.

*sigh*
Here I am with all this poetry in my soul, and no access to it.  I have to console myself by degrading the ineptitude of others, which isn't anywhere near as satisfying.  Although, to be fair, the mass-media not only deserve every bit of derision they get, they deserve far more.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment