Monday, September 22, 2008

Words/Phrases I Hate, vol. 1

I'm usually just totally crap at writing journal entries (or email, or replying to messages on Facebook or MySpace, or sending letters...), but the other day I realized that I had a whole bunch of shit just begging for this kind of format: the random rants and bloviations that I tend to get into when I'm on Google Talk!  Hence, therefore and to wit, I am copying and pasting, both for any potential enjoyment someone may derive from such diatribes/vitriol/panegyrics/tripe and for my own feeling of accomplishment.  And while posting an LJ entry may seem an odd thing from which to derive a sense of accomplishment, for someone like me who has such a hard time engaging with life at times, it's actually kind of a big deal.

And so, the first installment of: Words and Phrases I Hate, by Morgan Williams.

Proactive
 
I hate this word because if you're in the business world in any capacity, you hear it seven-hundred-thousand times a day, and it wasn't even a word until fairly recently.  I've decided that every time i hear that word, I'm gonna slip the phrase "put forth preemptive effort" into the conversation.  Every time.  Eventually it'll become the new "proactive", and will spread across the land like the dark shadow of Mordor.  And because corporate types so love their corp-speak, wherein "convoluted" and "unintelligible" are greatly prized qualities, the fact that it's a much longer and more unwieldy will actually make it more likely to catch on.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment